• Create publicity and visibility for the schemes and programs run by Dept of Disability Affairs.
• Create an enabling environment for the social inclusion of PWDs.
• Create awareness of the legal rights of PWDs.
• Sensitization of employers.
• Rehabilitation facilities, helpline, content creation, recreation, etc.
NGOs or not-for-profit organizations can apply for financial assistance if they are engaging in any of the above activities.
Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS) has been functional w.e.f. 1st April, 2009. It promotes voluntary action for PWDs. Grants-in-aid are provided to NGOs/VOs and other not-for-profit organizations that want to start a program for the rehabilitation of PWDs.
Under the DDRS Scheme, financial assistance is given for (examples):
• Pre-school and early intervention.
• Special education.
• Vocational training and placement.
• Community based rehabilitation.
• Manpower development.
• Psycho-social rehabilitation of persons with mental illness, etc.
The purpose of the loan is to provide financial assistance to the weaker sections of disabled. The NGOs/VOs can use these funds to setup income generating activities for the disabled.
A Rs. 2000 grant per block of Rs. 1 lakh of loan will be given to the NGO for:
• Training, orientation, motivating PWDs.
• Capacity augmentation and organizing Self Help Groups.
• Awareness creation.
• Admin costs.
The loan can be availed by PWDs individually provided they have the educational and professional background to setup a business or an income generating activity.
The purpose of this scheme is to provide loans to NGOs working in the field of disabilities to convert these NGOs into social enterprises and thus their people into social entrepreneurs. This can be done by setting up or expanding an income generating activity. The management of the activity is to be voluntary done by the NGO.